We are back with our second installment of Upcycle This! Following the theme of Eco Monday for environmental awareness, our weekly feature is meant to focus on the growing trend of attempting to scale back our waste production by reusing – or upcycling – materials we already consume. In this installment of inspiring things upcycled from everyday objects, we decided to focus on great crafty projects created from discarded soda cans.
Soda cans are everywhere in modern day society – half of Americans drink soda everyday – and what’s worse, we’re drinking an average of 2.6 glasses of soda per day. Not only is this obscene level of soda consumption bad for our health, but it’s hard on our environment as well!
Hopefully, you’re already diligent about properly recycling the soda cans you are drinking. But why not do something a little crafty with the material? We found 21 awesome projects, from sculptures to candles, that use parts of a soda can. Check them out below!
Use your Aluminum Cans…
…As a lighting source.
1. Soda Can Lanterns (source: Apartment List)
2. Soda Can Candle Holders (source: Aurelia’s Little Room)
3. Soda Can Tab Pendant Lamp (source: The 3 R’s Blog)
…For Home Decor.
4. Soda Can Tab Curtains (source: Dori the Giant)
5. Festive Stars (source: milomade)
6. Aluminum Letter Magnets (source: EllieMacDesigns)
7. Coasters (source: The Idea Room)
8. Soda Can Pop Art Mirror (source: Two2LoveTreasures)
9. Recycled Wastebasket (source: Urban Woodswalker)
…As fun accessories.
10. Recycled Bookmark (source: Curbly)
11. Metal Box (source: AtomicShrimp)
12. Pinwheel Posy Pot Bouquet (source: florestanisstudio)
13. Holiday Ornaments (source: Urban Woodswalker)
14. Pop Top Purses (source: Pop Top Lady)
15. Jewelry (source: EnviMetals)
…To Make Awesome Toys!
16. Soda Can Airplane (source: TwiceBakedArts)
17. Handmade Toy Cars (source: max_thinks_sees)
18. Batman Sculpture by Makaon
19. Pikachu Sculpture by Makaon
20. WALL-E Sculpture by Makaon
21. Yoshi Sculpture by Makaon
Source: Laughing Squid
That’s it for this week’s edition of Upcycle This! We think the Yoshi sculpture is absolutely divine, but obviously, that is a project meant for much more artistically inclined people (which we are not). A lot of these projects are very accessible for beginner craftsmen, such as the coasters or the lanterns. Which was your favorite soda can project?