Communities are increasingly recognizing the importance for people to recycle plastic bottles and minimize the impact of their waste. Plastic waste has grown steadily as an important topic in environmental policy, especially when Concord, Massachusetts, became the first city in the United States to ban single-use plastic bottles. According to Treehugger:
It takes 17 million barrels of oil per year to make all the plastic water bottles used in the U.S. alone. That’s enough oil to fuel 1.3 million cars for a year.In 2007, Americans consumed over 50 billion single serve bottles of water. With a recycling rate of only 23%, over 38 billion bottles end up in landfills.
Designers, artists and architects have all realized this issue and have come up with numerous ways to transform that waste into something useful. We uncovered these 27 creative ways people have recycled their plastic bottles – we found furniture, art and several gardening solutions. Check them out below!
2. Another Sarah Turner creation! “Lily 9” is made from 9 two liter soda bottles. Sells for roughly $140 + shipping.
4. This video shows you how to build a solar bottle bulb!
17. Shape your own art bowl, ideal as a fruit bowl! Instructions by gulgevenc on Instructables.
19. You can purchase this “Re-Juicer,” a creative juicer by Amron Experimental. Made from re-used water bottle bottoms. Sells for $6.50.
21. This team created a hamster powered submarine out of a plastic bottle!
23. Volunteers worked together to recycle 7,000 plastic bottles in order to build the roof of this hut in the UK. (via Inhabitat)
25. A small town in Lithuania used 40,000 recycled plastic bottles to create this Christmas tree in 2011! (via Colossal)
26. This enormous installation of fish by the UN Department of Sustainable Development was constructed using discarded plastic bottles found on Botafogo beach in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil! (via Colossal)
Check out our Upcycle This! archive for other cool upcycle projects.