Communities are increasingly recognizing the importance for people to recycle plastic bottles and minimize the impact of their waste. Plastic waste has grown steadily as an important topic in environmental policy, especially when Concord, Massachusetts, became the first city in the United States to ban single-use plastic bottles. According to Treehugger:
It takes 17 million barrels of oil per year to make all the plastic water bottles used in the U.S. alone. That’s enough oil to fuel 1.3 million cars for a year.In 2007, Americans consumed over 50 billion single serve bottles of water. With a recycling rate of only 23%, over 38 billion bottles end up in landfills.
Designers, artists and architects have all realized this issue and have come up with numerous ways to transform that waste into something useful. We uncovered these 27 creative ways people have recycled their plastic bottles – we found furniture, art and several gardening solutions. Check them out below!
1. Sarah Turner sells beautiful plastic bottle lamps on Etsy. This ceiling pendant lamp is made of 10 plastic fizzy water bottles. You can get it for roughly $300 + shipping.
2. Another Sarah Turner creation! “Lily 9” is made from 9 two liter soda bottles. Sells for roughly $140 + shipping.
3. Reta and Vana Howel created this truly unique light fixure out of anywhere between 50 and 100 water bottles! You can buy this piece on Etsy for $99 + shipping.
4. This video shows you how to build a solar bottle bulb!
5. Design firm Rosenbaum and TV producer Luciano Huck created this gorgeous vertical garden in Brazil out of hundreds of recycled plastic bottles! (via Colossal)